Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Insurance Issues

Most of today was spent dealing with insurance companies. Two months ago I initially contacted the holders of our home and auto insurance. They sweetly told me there would be no problem keeping coverage on both while P&S were here, but that I needed to give them X, Y and Z information.

Today I contacted same company with X, Y and Z information. Lo and behold this didn't suffice. Not only did it not suffice, but my call prompted an on-going rigamorole of shuffling me about from one rep to another while they all basically told me we were un-insurable.

WHAT?!

That led me to a smattering of home exchange sites to see what they recommended regarding home and auto insurance. Almost verbatim, each site politely states that you should "be sure to make it clear to your insurance company that they are non-paying guests in your home and you should be all set."

HA! Obviously, whomever writes for these websites has NOT attempted to maintain insurance for a long-term home exchange!

With the first call I was informed we would have to use Landlord's insurance. As that rep didn't process these types of applications, I was transferred to someone who did. This person explained to me that with renter's insurance, the state requires lead testing for the home (which is a mere $500). Of course, in an 1860's home the chances of testing positive for lead paint are about 100%. In which case, I was told, we would have to pay for lead abatement in order to qualify for insurance.

All of which, of course, would need to happen before the "renters" (in this case, P&S) took up residence in our home, which will be August 12th.

About three more phone calls to three different people and six hours later, here I am FINALLY with a quote for insurance for our home that won't require the $30,000 lead abatement. Phew! What a relief! On top of that, it will not be the original quoted price of over $2,000 for the year.

Thank God, because insurance fraud was starting to look pretty appealing!

On an even happier note, I was able to get a "vacation waiver" for our prescription drug coverage, which means we will be able to obtain a year's supply of the medications we take. No more having to figure out how to get our scripts filled in France! The reason I say this is happier than the insurance solution is it only took one phone call that only lasted about 45 minutes (during most of which I was on hold and could therefore multi-task).

So that's three "minor" details all cleared up today! Not bad for a Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment