Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Preparations are Underway

The most common question I get these days is, "How are preparations going?" Up until this point I have laughed and scoffed, "What preparations? You mean, am I ready for what we have going on tomorrow? Yes. Next week, sort of. Beyond that? Wait, there is a 'beyond that?!'"

But, just like I anticipated, the smoke has cleared from our crazy schedule and reality is sinking in like a cinder block. Therefore, the real work of getting ready has to begin. Because I am mildly OCD, I have made separate to-do lists for every room of our house, the porch, basement, barn, workshop and yard. I had a dear friend walk through the house with me, pointing out things she noticed which she would have questions about or which she thought needed to be addressed/fixed before we go. That was a tremendous help and provided the focus I needed to feel like I could dig in and get started.

The lists are exhaustive - including deep cleaning chores (taken from www.flylady.com), organizing, removal of personal items, things to fix/replace, etc. David and I walked through with the 25 or so lists in hand and added or deleted things based on the practicality of whether we will get to it or not (sadly, none of the deep-cleaning items were axed). Now it is time to roll up my sleeves and get to work.

This weekend I pruned our front hedges (what I wouldn't give for a few extra grand to install a maintenance-free fence in their place!), trimmed the lawn, mulched two beds, weeded two flower beds, harvested the end of the strawberries (then made a strawberry cream pie), cleaned Bo's entire room - including the DISASTER AREA of a closet, went through all Bo's clothes and set aside stuff I think P&S's son will be able to wear and stuff we might want to pack, rearranged two closets downstairs, took stock of all our pantry/freezer items and meal planned for the next 40 days, and did my regular chores of laundry and overall general housekeeping. God will have to infuse me with some serious Holy Spirit Power to keep me going at this pace!

Tomorrow we will take a "break" by getting up at oh-six hundred hours to go with David to the beach so he can play volleyball and we can play in the sand. Then more "down time" with a late night of fireworks. Sounds nice and relaxing, doesn't it?

I think I better go take a nap while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment