Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Les Spectacles de Noel

Every time we see or hear that a Spectacle is occurring I crack up. Refrains of "Spectacular, spectacular, spectacular" run through my head while I conjure up images of some fool making a spectacle of themselves in front of a live audience. The French seem rather fond of their special events, and never more so than during the holidays, so I've had lots of opportunities for a good chuckle of late. Not too surprisingly, Vivi and I have had our chance to "play the fool" as it were, as we enthusiastically participated in the school and church Christmas programs.

Here, Vivi is featured in a maracas solo. But please note, she sings along en francais with the rest of the school. Bo sang along too, but in the safe shelter at my side from the audience. He's no fool and refuses to be made a spectacle I guess.



I had to record this for my mom. This is the only French song I even remotely know, thanks to her singing it to me every Christmas I've ever known. Hearing it sung in the church in the center of Cravant felt a Christmas present delivered just for us. Joyeux Noel, Maman!



There was supposed to be a group of women doing a sacred dance at our church's Christmas program, but the choreographer (me) went and got majorly sick the week beforehand and had to cancel rehearsal. Somehow, they convinced me to do the dance with just Vivi, seeing how she and I could work on it at home, in between my naps and nose-blowing. So, Vivi and I found ourselves serving as the finale of our Christmas service, red-nosed and all:

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that had tears streaming down my face!..partly because it was so beautiful & partly because I wish Sarah & I could do this together! She's been doing this alone at home & it's so touching..I can't wait til you girls are home & maybe the two girls or three of you can dance together! Sarah is having a "dance party" soon & has ideas of who will dress as what to her choreography-ha! So glad you powered through this even though you were sick, to touch so many! Love, me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I cried too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was beautiful and I had goosebumps up and down my right side. Great job to Vivi and you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Erin hope you guys are having fun!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody! But all you "anonymous" folks - throw your name at the end so I know who you are! Unless you are trying for stealth mode. ;-)

    ReplyDelete