Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

We will Remember

Memorial Day Weekend seems an appropriate time to share about our experience visiting Omaha Beach in Normandy. Once again, what I expected and what I experienced were not the same. I thought we'd see a beach with a plaque and a very, very large cemetery. It was so very much more.

When we arrived from the car lot to the park entrance, we were welcomed by armed security who appeared to be French military. My back stiffened and eyebrows raised as I took in their expressions. The presence of these men silently but powerfully reminded all who entered that this was a place deserving the sincerest respect and deepest honor. I pulled the children into me and quietly but sternly explained to them the significance of where we were. Eyes wide, they nodded their understanding and we passed through security into a large, bright and sunny lobby dotted with immense photographs of soldiers and battlefields. Along one wall were computer monitors and keyboards for looking up the location of specific graves. You could search by state, name, unit number and more.

By the time I'd reached the far end of the lobby, to what I thought was the entrance to the grounds and cemetery, I was fighting back the tears. But the doors were actually just a wall of glass, and the traffic pattern turned sharply left and down a flight of stairs.

Below, underground was, by contrast, a dimly lit but nonetheless elaborate gallery of artifacts, photographs, statistics, video footage and written stories depicting the chain of events, personal accounts and tributes of the men who fought on the ground no more than 500 meters away. To say this was moving doesn't do it justice. I wiped away a steady flow of tears as I read about the heroic acts of countless American men and women. At the end of the gallery another sharp turn led through a long dimly lit marble-lined hallway. A soothing female voice announced name after name after name. I wondered to myself how long one would have to stand in the hallway to hear the names of all 9,387 men and women who gave their lives near this place and were buried above.

The hallway opened up suddenly, to a large, cathedral-height rotunda majestically labeled "The Hall of Heroes." Glass plaques formed a fluid circle around the room with head shots of smiling young men in uniform. Under their names were labels identifying those whose bravery saved lives and those for whom that bravery cost them their own. In the center of the room, enclosed on three sides was a wordless memorial.

Vivienne and my mom stood close to one another inside the glass enclosure, heads bowed and hands folded. My mom later explained Vivi had asked her, "Nana, what is this?" And when my mom explained, tears in her own eyes, this was a special place to say a prayer for the men and women who gave their lives for freedom, Vivi responded accordingly and my mother followed suit.

After their silent "amen," Mom and I took a deep breath, grasped hands and headed toward the doors that led to the beach and graves beyond. My eyes locked with the soldier standing guard. As we passed, I whispered a quiet "merci" hoping it would convey the deeper gratitude I felt for the tribute this place was to my country and fellow countrymen.

The path led us along a beautiful coastline, rolling with hills down to a gorgeous sandy beach, the forest at our back.  


It was breathtaking in it's beauty and serenity even without the knowledge of what took place here 68 years ago. But looking down the slopes to the waves below made the courage of the men who stormed this beach so tangible my insides hurt. 

Rather suddenly, the forest behind us gave way to perfectly manicured fields with rows upon rows of crosses and stars.



This cross reads, "Here rests in Honored Glory a Comrade in Arms known but to God." These graves of unidentified soldiers were spread throughout the grounds, surrounded by their fellow heroes.
The rosary hanging on this cross of a soldier from Massachusetts reminded me that although I don't have a personal connection with anyone here, each cross is connected to someone, somewhere who misses them.
What you are seeing in this video is, I believe, roughly one quarter of the actual cemetery. We weren't able to go beyond the gazebo you see in the distance because a massive rain cloud rapidly rolled in causing us to cut our visit short.

 
 While I'm doubtful a WWII veteran will read this post, I still want to say, "Thank you." We are so indebted to the people who gave their lives and time to end the horrors of Hitler's regime. Oh how I pray we will always remember, so we never repeat.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a powerful visit. I teared up watching the video..partly sadness, partly grateful to God that my grampa made it through WWII to come home & have my mom & me & all the future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is amazing. Thank you for writing so beautifully that I can feel the horror, sadness, honor, respect, gratefulness and sacredness saturating Normandy all the way from there to here. It makes me want to purchase Vision Forum's documentary titled Normandy:A Final Farewell where they actually go through it all with the presence of some WWII vets (http://www.visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/?sc=xxxxxx) - I'm sure very stirring! Great post - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding us, Erin, of the sacrifice made by so many. Words really can't do justice to the way I feel about your post... again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All gave some ...some gave all.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin...what a beautiful post. It definitely brought a tear or two to my eyes. Thank you...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember visiting the American cemetery above the beach in Normandy several years ago on our honeymoon. We were studying the maps at the entrance showing the movements of the various armed forces. Behind us were two elderly gentlemen. One said to the other, I'm sure not realizing that we were American, or that we understood French, "You know it's very moving, what the Americans did for us." It made me realize that despite all the political disputes between our countries at the time (in 1994, they were probably disputes over military interventions in Bosnia or Somalia or past interventions against Iraq), there was a very strong bond between our countries, at least among older people or those in Normandy. It also gave me a sense that America has earned the right to have a say in some European affairs. A lot of Americans died there, a fact that really hits you as you look upon the vast field of crosses. It's a very emotional site to visit.

    ReplyDelete