Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Just Follow These Steps

It is an exciting adrenaline and stress-producing place to be in when you are experiencing the potential of a big dream realized. I have been here a few times before, the familiarity of my navigations simultaneously a comfort and a concern. Unbeknown to me until now, I apparently have a system for working through dream actualization. (I should not be that surprised, as I tend to have a system for most things.)

Step One: Frequently sigh, longing for a dream to be realized, bordering on being in
a state of obsessive discontent.

Step Two
: Take notice of the opportunity to dive in.

Step Three: RUN full-speed toward the diving board, fully embracing an obsessive compulsion. "Eyes on the prize, Violet, eyes on the prize."

Step Four: Take a most daring and dramatic leap with lots of flare and little finesse.

Step Five
: Look to see if there’s water in the pool and if it’s deep enough, wonder at the water temperature, question my swimming skills, look for a life guard, all while plunging toward my fate.

Step Six: PANIC
as not all of the conclusions drawn during Step Four were ideal.

Step Seven
: Realize it is too late now, close my eyes, hold my breath, cringe and pray just before impact.

This Seven-Step process was graciously applied to selecting a degree program, getting married, adopting my son, carrying and delivering my daughter, buying both our houses, and is currently in process regarding spending a year in France.

The good news: It is familiar and I know what to expect.

The bad news: I am still not quite getting the order of events down in their proper sequence.

Therefore, just in case you are someone perusing this blog to see how someone else took on an adventure abroad, you may want to read just as much for the purpose of learning what NOT to do as what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment