Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Back To School Night en Francais

This week the kids' schools held their versions of "Back to School" nights. Like any good parent, I of course enthusiastically attended.

Bohdan's came first at 6:30pm on Tuesday. David and the kids dropped me off so Bo could still make it to his soccer practice, much to the dismay of some of Bo's classmates who were stuck playing in the courtyard while their mom's attended the meeting inside.

I entered the computer room/library in the back of the building and found a seat. The room was buzzing with "bonjours," some of which were directed at me as I got settled. There were approximately 40 or so parents there, which makes sense considering the entire school is comprised of just about 45 students. I naively took out my notebook and pen ready to write down all the valuable information I would acquire during this time.

Then the meeting officially commenced. I discerned this because the loud buzzing of voices reduced to a low hum and la Directrice (the principal) began looking around the whole room while she spoke. It took a total of five minutes for me to conclude I was in WAY over my American head. Here's a copy of the notes I took:

  • Ask for clarification regarding absences - policy and procedure
  • Call Florence (canteen director) two days in advance if children are absent, or if they are home sick, call her before what time? (need to find out)
  • Pack a small snack for Bo each day if he wants it.
  • 9 Decembre - Fete Noel at the church in Cravant
  • 23 Juin - Fete for the end of the year
  • Ask for clarification regarding field trips and how much money they cost, who to pay, etc.
  • EPS is on Lundi, Mardi, & Jeudi (find out what EPS is)
  • Arts visuels - Vendredi - vieux tee-shirt (need to give Bo one)
  • Musique - Vendredi matin
  • Anglais - Vendredi
  • Interlignes - curriculum for Language Arts
  • GAP Maths - curriculum for Math
When the portion of the meeting for the whole school was over, the teachers and parents went to the respective classrooms for specifics on each class. La Directrice, also Bohdan's Maitresse (teacher), pulled me aside and asked if I understood everything from the previous meeting. "Pas de tout" was my reply. Not at all.
"Rein?" she asked, smiling.
"Rein!" I proclaimed "nothing," enthusiastically smiling right back.
"Les jours de Bohdan sont tout comme ca." She said - or something along those lines, basically telling me Bohdan's school days are all just like that was. "C'est difficile, non?" She smiled, eyebrows raised.
"Beh oui, c'est tres difficile. Je ne sais pas comment mes enfants faire ca!" Well, yeah, it is very difficult. I don't know how my children do it!
"Ah oui, mais ils apprennent tres vite." (Ah, yes, but they learn very quickly)
Yes, they sure do, I thought, I suppose they have no choice!

The classroom portion commenced with Maitresse informing everyone that their children have done a very good job welcoming Bo into their class. They have all reached out to him and played with him and attempted to talk to him. They help him when he doesn't understand. They are patient with him. I shook my head rapidly in agreement. It has been remarkable how wonderful Bohdan's peers have been.

At the conclusion, I stayed after because I needed extra help. Madame Pellet answered my questions and even complimented me on how much my own French has improved. After the clue-free experience I had just finished, I questioningly laughed out loud. "Non, c'est vrai, c'est vrai." she encouraged. I guess it is true, when I think about it. But I still headed home for a much needed and well-deserved verre de rouge.

Thank God I had a few days to recover before Vivi's open house.

Perhaps because I had been through it once already or maybe because my French really took off in those few days (probably NOT the case), I really understood a lot more at Vivi's school than I had at Bohdan's. It might have had to do with the fewer interruptions. At Bo's school it seemed everyone kept talking and butting in, which seemed really rude to me but not to anyone else. But people seemed more reserved on Friday night. Perhaps the week had taken its toll on everyone and no one paid attention?

My notes looked pretty similar to the first meeting - in fact the dates of the Christmas party and end of year party were exactly the same, so I sure hope it is some sort of combined effort. There was something said about medications - hopefully not something too important. Something else about notes if your child is going home with someone different and something else about bringing treats for the class on your child's birthday.

At the end of the meeting the parents stood around talking about how out of hand the canteen is in Cravant because there only two women to serve and monitor 45 children. I actually joined in the conversation, announcing that Bo had told me the kids throw food. Other mom's agreed their children had said the same. It was almost like I was one of the gang and actually participating in the conversation.

But the most encouraging moment from these two events was when one parent asked about the difficulty of the homework, explaining that their son had cried over one assignment because he was so frustrated and it was taking him so long. The teacher of course said it should not be that way and that the homework is meant for reviewing with parents only - so that the parents can be reinforcing what is being covered in class. But I was so relieved to hear of another child's struggle because it just proved that school is hard for everyone and an adjustment/transition period takes place for all. My kids are not that different and the challenges they face really are similar to the rest of their peers. Only the language differentiates them and, from what I hear, by Noel, they'll be fluent.
On peut esperer. One can hope.

1 comment: