Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Friday, September 9, 2011

My home away from home, away from home

E.LECLERC
Based on the title I betchya thought I was going to post about some wonderful new friend's house, or the house I'm living in, or some favorite spot, huh? But NO. My home away from home, away from home is the GROCERY STORE. If I'm not home, chances are good, that's where I'll be.

Consequently, I have learned very quickly I detest grocery shopping no matter what country or language or currency it is in. What's worse, as a result of not really have my cooking groove on yet, and because I can't seem to accurately account for how much food we need for guests, I am going to the grocery store practically every other day. In just one month's time I can already drive there in my sleep.

Early on, some dear friends with a glorious sense of humor requested photos of Leclerc. Far be it for me to fail to meet the challenge. To fully appreciate the images below, you must imagine me pushing my all-wheel drive crazy cart, trying to blend in while as inconspicuously as possible snapping a few photos here and there. My method was keeping the camera at about hip height and close to my purse so it could maybe look like I was rummaging in there for something instead of acting like the paparazzi. If you want to see other areas of the store, let me know - maybe I can get stopped by the store security next time!

FROMAGE!!!! - The Cheese Counter. I haven't been brave enough to approach it any closer than this yet. There's all kinds of green, yellow, orange and marbled things that look like science experiments over there. It is the size of the Deli back home. The Deli right next to it is also the size of the Deli back home. The French sure do love their processed meat products - be they salted, smoked, cured, pickled, or pureed.

OK. So I have to confess that even though I really do hate the frequency with which I have been visiting this place, the next two photos make my mouth begin to water and I must fight the urge to drive over to get some fresh, hot baguette right this very second. This is how I feel about the Big Box Store Baguette. I can't imagine how I would respond to the Local Boulangerie Baguette. I'm afraid to try it. I might never go back and our budget would be blown on bread. This also sheds light on my reticence to go wine cave hopping. But back to the bread:



Can you believe it?! Next time I'm there I will count the different varieties of baguette. There's got to be a dozen at least. Not to mention the croissants, rolls, loaves, and pastries. Oh, honestly - the French have this over the States in such a big way it will make me bawl 11 months from now.

Agh! I'm getting anxious just thinking about leaving all this bread behind. I better go grab some baguette before Bo beats me to it.

(I wasn't going to say anything, but the English teacher in me can't contain it, plus I know my mom will be proud to know: I was fairly intentional with all my alliteration! Haha- love you Mom!)

5 comments:

  1. Looks very spacious! Promise me you'll go the cheese counter and have some cheese for me soon (not that I'm a huge moldy cheese fan, but I bet there are some real delicacies to be found there)! For me, right now, being there and not being able to eat the baguette in copious quantities would be torture. Guess I should be happy I'm stuck back here right now! Or should I say, Damien's happy I'm stuck back here now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I miss bread more than I can say. And Austria didn't have as many baguettes but the semmels.....with haselnuss and cheese and a slice of ham or turkey. Well, we do have the memories..
    Thanks for the pictures! They are great.
    We love your blog and are using it for schooling purposes! So thank you for all your photos and prose.
    We miss you a bunch!
    the brodeur fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schooling purposes?? Good heavens! I better make a more thorough check to be sure I am not making grammar or spelling mistakes! Miss you guys, too!

    And yes, Crystal, once I have a better idea of what we like, I will get up there and order some cheese - I promise! In the mean time, I'll be sure to eat extra bread in your honor. Oh the sacrifices a girl has to make for a friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may be mistaken, but I don't think I saw any Japanese tourists in those photos...(joking aside, thank you)
    jb

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only two "asian-looking" people I have seen were serving chinese-ish food at the open-air market and the other was a doctor here. Neither one had a camera or looked the part of the tourist. And they spoke more fluent French that I do, that's for sure. I'll keep a look-out for you. They must be here somewhere. Probably Paris.

    ReplyDelete