Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bo's First Days of School

Bohdan wanted to share about his first day of school. So I had him dictate to me while I typed. Here's his story, in his own words:

On the first day of school I felt a little worried because I haven't been to school before. I had to wake up very, very early. I had to force myself to eat breakfast because Dad wanted me to, so I would not be hungry at school.


When I was at the steps of my school, me and Vivi were waiting for the bus.

When the bus came, it picked up Vivi and we said our goodbyes and she left on the bus. The bus is much nicer than the buses in the States. (See the photo of it below.)

Then I went into the courtyard and I was looking at the other children to see where they put their backpacks. When I found out, I said "hi" to my teacher and the teacher introduced me to my class. (That's what's happening in the next photo.) Then I went to the door of the courtyard and said goodbye to my mom and dad and I found my friend Lucas. We played "sharks and minnows."

Our teacher said, "on y va," (which means "come on") and we came to the door to our classroom and stood in a line. Our teacher made us quiet down and we walked through the door and into the hall and then into my classroom. I sat down at a seat, but my teacher said that was the wrong seat and I went to my right seat.

We took out our pens, pencils, markers and colored pencils and our teacher opened up the ginormous white board. She gave us some notebooks and a tiny piece of paper and there was a little slot in the cover of the notebook. We wrote our names on the tiny piece of paper and put it in the slot on the cover of the notebook. The teacher wrote something on the board and it said, "Je m'appelle Severine Pellet," and it said where she lived and what she really liked to do. Then she got out a big bamboo stick with a point on the end of it and I got to go upfront and point to where I live in NH on a big map of the world. Then we all wrote the same thing, except our names, where we lived and what we liked to do. I wrote, "Je m'appelle Bohdan. J'habite a Cravant. J'aime football et velo." (which means, "My name is Bohdan. I live in Cravant. I like soccer and bicycling.")

Then we did writing until 11:00. At 11:00 we lined up at the door of our classroom and the teacher made us quiet down and then we walked out of the classroom and outside into the courtyard. I found my friend, Lucas, and we played "sharks and minnows," tag and raced.

At 11:30 our teacher clapped her hands and we all lined up at the door. She made us quiet down and we walked into the hall and then into our classroom. We sat down in our seats and we did more writing until 12:00.

That's when we eat lunch. There was a line of children who were going to the cafeteria and there was a line of children who were going out of the courtyard to eat with their parents. I went into the line of children who were eating with their parents. We all walked toward the entrance of the courtyard and we met our parents. Mom, Dad and I went to Vivi's school that is in the next town over, and we ate lunch in the car with her.

Then at 12:30 we went back to the courtyard where the other kids were playing and I said goodbye to my mom and dad. I went into the courtyard and played with Lucas and Thomas. We played "sharks and minnows" again, but it is fun. At 1:05 or so we went back inside our classroom and sat down and there was some homework on our desks. We kept doing writing and learning the A-B-C's in French.

At 3:00 we went outside again and we played something different this time. It was sort of like "sharks and minnows" except more funner. I don't know what it was called.

At 3:30 we went back inside and sat down and there was more stuff on our desks. A black notebook, a little piece of paper and a piece of paper and a glue stick. The person that was sitting next to me told me what to do. So I glued my piece of paper inside my black notebook. I wrote my name on the tiny piece of paper and put it in the slot on the cover of the notebook. The teacher talked to us about the next day and she wrote something in my agenda.


At 4:00 we went outside and lined up and I said goodbye to Lucas and we walked out the door of the courtyard.

I really liked the beginning because I didn't know what was happening, so it was an adventure. Although the writing was a little boring.

The next day (today) I played with my friends and after we went into the classroom. But today was NOT writing day. It was Math Day! I really liked that because I love math. The math problems were cool and easy, because I already knew them. All it was was counting by ten. I got them all right. I used my chalk slate for the first time to answer a question. I wrote the answer on my slate and I held it up for the teacher to see. All the children did it at the same time. I got another two new notebooks today - one is for writing cursive and I don't know what the other one is for yet.

I can't wait for the next day of school (which isn't until Thursday, because we have every Wednesday off). Poor Tristan.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome & interesting post, Bo! I laughed out loud when I read the last sentence! It took me a second to figure out what it meant, but then I got it-haha! Yes, poor Tristan :) You go Bo!-Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it, maybe you can let me in on the joke! I'm glad you had good experiences at school and you made friends so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bo, my son Alex, who is in the same grade as you, got a wipe board at school (instead of a chalk board), but he hasn't used it yet so he doesn't know what it is for. I will tell him what you did with your chalk board. Do you have a regular eraser or an old sock eraser? Alex has an old sock! Glad you are enjoying school so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The joke about Tristan is that Tristan does not have Wednesdays off while in the US, but I do here!

    We use a regular eraser. I don't think the French would use an old sock.

    Thanks for the comments! I'll be sure to write again soon!

    -Bo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your first blog post, Bo! :) I'll read this out loud to Jayce & Reagan and see what they think. I'm sure they'll love it! Thanks for telling us about your first days of school!

    ReplyDelete