Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

On Our Walk

WHEN will I figure out I need to take my camera with me ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE I GO??!!!

Yesterday David and I went on a walk after I got back from dropping the kids off for school. (This is a definite plus to our schedule - David and I have a lot more "just us" time.) While on our walk we saw a snail with a shell as pretty as any seashell I've ever seen. And it was a fairly decent size, too - about as big as a good-sized strawberry. Of course it has me wondering if that's the source of Escargot. (Which incidentally, I found in the freezer section of the store, right next to cookie-dough sized TUBES of garlic butter!)

But the best moment was when a car pulled up along side us and asked for directions. Sadly, we didn't know the house they were trying to get to (at least we knew what they wanted). We somehow managed to maintain our composure though, despite the writing on the car. "Jesus de Joly." I have no idea what it means in French, but it sure looked an awful lot like "Jolly Jesus" to me. As the car drove away, David and I busted out laughing. Jolly Jesus, indeed! How fun would it be to drive around in a car that announces that, I wonder? It still makes me chuckle a day later.

On second thought, it is probably a good thing I didn't have my camera. How would I have explained to that man I simply had to take a picture of his car? That would have been a rather awkward moment. Perhaps worse than snapping photos in Leclerc even.

4 comments:

  1. Taking a photo of a random stranger is actually quite easy to do if you play tourist! I freaked out a waitress when I asked to take her picture because her hair was awesome and I just knew Emma would want to have it. Yep, I'm that weird :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just met a woman at Hospice last week who traded homes with another woman from France...how weird is that? She went to an escargot farm and she said they are tree snails. Either way...gross!
    Jolly Jesus! love it! but not really Biblical...He was a man of sorrows, aquainted with grief. Sad Jesus? Doesn't have the same ring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I had to look it up!...but there doesn't seem to be a French word "Joly"??? Joli is handsome or pretty...hmmm...I only found Joly as people's last names...could it be a place? -Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Stacy - The "Y" through me off - although I am not sure why they would advertize "Pretty Jesus" either. Either way, as Michelle points out, Joly or Pretty aren't all that Scripturally accurate.
    As it turns out - it is a business selling windows and doors:
    http://www.de-jesus-joly.com/
    Maybe they're working with the "enter through the narrow gate," "no one comes to the Father except through me" imagery?

    ReplyDelete