Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Momma Needs A New Pair of Shoes

It was bound to happen eventually. Statistically speaking, I'm a little surprised it took this long. But, yesterday was the day and luckily the conditions were such that it did not completely ruin our day. Imagine if we had been at a chateau or in Paris?! But thank God, we were just 10 minutes from home, at Bo's soccer practice in Ile'Bouchard. This will be the place to go down in infamy as the place in France where I finally stepped in dog poop.

As if I needed any incentive to further dislike most dogs (and consequently, most dog owners*), the French have added to my disdain by having a general disregard for cleaning up after their pets. Whether relief is found in the street, sidewalk, park, driveway - truly the location doesn't appear to make a difference- the remains are left right where the four legged beasts intend. Every time we have gone anywhere (to visit castles even), the announcement is proclaimed at least once, from at least one of us, "watch out for the dog poop!" It is altogether rather remarkable and rather disgusting.

Aside from the dog poop, I find France to be a very clean country. One doesn't see much in the way of litter or trash strewn about. But honestly, I think I might prefer the occasional beer can on the side of the road to the bombs we continue to encounter. Like the one from yesterday, for example:

Bohdan's field for soccer practice abuts a cow pasture. Needless to say, when the wind blows either it is a God-sent breath of fresh air, or a deluge of what was already a rather overpowering odor. As I stood on the sidelines, against the fence with all the other parents, I continuously had to adjust my bearings like a schooner to stay in the right path of the wind and avoid the odoriferous onslaughts.

This perhaps helps to explain the disregard I had for the momentary changes of the bouquet in the air. When I finally determined dog poo was indeed intermingled with the air des vaches, I assumed my "super power" olfactory sense (as David calls it) was coming into play and shrugged it off as an addition to the unpleasantries of Bo's soccer location.

Eventually, I looked down only to discover to my absolute horror that I had been parading around like a show pony in a pile of puppy poo for the past half hour. The French have it on the Americans in moments like this as they have two very appropriate utterances at their disposal, while we have only the one and without the cool accent.
"Merde!" or "Sheet!" (which does not refer to something you place on a bed. Unless you're incontinent.)

My sentiments exactly.

In my most casual, decorum-maintaining posture I walked / shuffled back to the car, attempting to remove as much of the offensive matter as possible along the way, while no doubt looking like a sailor on his last night of leave. Once to the car, I made ready use of the grassy lot, removed my shoes, and, screened by the open door of the car, made haste to wipe my shoes off as completely as the lack of soap and water would allow.

Oh, and of course I wasn't exactly wearing rubber hip-waders. Cute strappy little black sandals with a kitten heal. And, because I didn't just step in it, but danced around in it, there was even some on my actual foot. I swear, I could have screeched or wretched right there on the spot if it weren't for the fear of dying from embarrassment being stronger than the horror of it all. Placing my shoes as far out of my reach and under the car as possible, I remained smells-safe in the car for the duration of Bo's practice.

David and Vivi returned from their walk and I filled them in on the hazardous time I'd just spent. After getting a good chuckle out of my predicament, David went to fetch Bo's water for Vivi and himself.

"Well, watch out for the dog poop," I scoffed, wondering how many more times my mouth will utter those words this year. A few minutes later David returned, thirst quenched. He sat next to me in the car as we took in the conclusion of Bo's practice.

"I'm sorry," I confessed. "I tried to clean off my shoes as best I could. I even shoved them under the car, but I can still smell the poop. It is so disgusting. We'll have to keep the windows down on the way home." David nodded and laughed a little in amazement once again at my "super power sense of smell." But then he went all aghast,

"Wait a minute!" He jumped out of the car and proceeded to do his own chicken impression while muttering, "I can't believe it!" Yes indeed, folks. The same bomb took out one of my husband's sneakers, too.

When it was time to retrieve the sweaty players, of course the rendezvous point was right near the scene of the crime. I hovered in the back of the pack, ignoring the fact that there were important announcements en francais that should have taken every ounce of my energy to comprehend, completely distracted with watching the entire gaggle of parents marching around in the very same poop. What was I to do? I couldn't exactly interrupt the coach with a bold shout of "Merde de chien! Merde de chien!" That certainly didn't seem like the correct course of action. So I just stood there, paralyzed by fear, disgust, and the irony of it all.

It's been a full day since this took place. David's sneakers lie discarded next to my sandals outside the house. We're praying for rain. Because really, who wants to get up close and personal with that? Maybe I just found my excuse for buying a darling pair of new French shoes.

*Certainly I don't mean my parents (although I do dislike their dogs), or Crystal (I actually can't stand Shiva), or Beverly (perhaps the first dogs I've ever liked?!), or any other of my friends who would be dog-owners. I'm of course referring to the complete strangers who don't train, leash or love their dogs properly.

6 comments:

  1. LOL! I would be horrified too! Anyway, I am not offended by your lack of love towards my dog as I believe I'm in the same emotional boat as you. Because of the kind of dog Shiva is, she continues to prove to me on a daily basis that she is, in fact, not trained, leashed or loved properly. And her dog poop certainly does not endear her to me any more than the next dog's. We really have only proven that we should own a fish for a pet and no more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This had me in stitches!
    I am so glad we don't live there because Albert seems to be a "Merde de chien" magnet! Albert ALWAYS get it on his shoe, no matter where we go now.
    I have to walk the dogs now and I always bring a bag to clean up. I am amazed at the piles we see on the edge of people's lawns from others that don't clean up.
    Maybe instead of a new pair of strappy sandals, you might want to invest in a pair of Hello Kitty rubber boots. :-) And keep a jug of water in the trunk of the car....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was sooo funny!
    Our neighborhood is awash in dog and Cat poo.
    In fact, the cats think that my garden is their toilet.
    I happen to have a, what did you call it...super power olfactory sense, but more for cats. It is terrible to try to enjoy the scents of my flowers up close and instead get a whiff of cat urine or poop. ugh
    I guess it is a fact of life.
    I suggest going shoe shopping, it can be a ton of fun and the shoes are great!!! As are the boots coming out for fall.
    Plus, Beverly has a point about boots and jug of water for future episodes!!!
    katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are hilarious, my friend! I miss hearing your voice while telling stories like this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agh! Katie - I have the same problem with cats - or the evergreen bushes that are so common in our area - I think they're junipers - which smell exactly like cat pee - I call them Cat Pee Bushes.
    So glad you all enjoyed a good laugh. Please believe me when I say I did NOT exaggerate (used colorful descriptions, yes). Cornelia - do you have Skype? We could even SEE each other if you want! :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Loved the alliterative sentence, "Eventually, I looked down only to discover to my absolute horror that I had been parading around like a show pony in a pile of puppy poo for the past half hour."
    P is for Poo!

    ReplyDelete