Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Play Dates

I have always disliked the term "play date." I've been trying to remember what we used when I was a kid to explain a time when friends got together to play and I am pretty sure we simply called it "having a friend over to play." I suppose "play date" is easier and more efficient, but I still don't like it. It conjures up too many images of Prada wearing Yuppie Moms, Blackberry planners, and over-priced lattes at some park in some city somewhere.

But whatever way you call it, my kids are both engaged in said activity as I type. Vivi's schoolmate, Lucie, is here and Bohdan was picked up a little bit ago to play at his friend, Jules' house for the afternoon. I am left here realizing this is the first time this sort of meeting has taken place in their lives. Sure, I've babysat friends' kids before, but that was the impetus for the children to be together. Never have my kids set up a time to play with a friend that resulted in one child being left in the care of another child's mom. It is a subtle difference, but it is different and the effects of this are less subtle than you would think.

Because Bo & Vivi's play times with other children have always included the moms, I have made some amazing friends based on the time spent giving the kids a chance to hang out. Family friends are created in this context, instead of individual ones. This fact leaves me feeling mildly frustrated right now. I could be participating in my own "play date" if either of the mom's who extended these invitations today had included us adults in the equation. Instead I find myself once again with my laptop, putting off the countless chores I could be doing by ruminating on my aloneness.

Another affect which I hope doesn't present itself as an issue today, is that of child care. When I am with my friends and their children in the US, if there is a problem with any child, the parent is there to address it immediately, the way they see fit. Whether the problem is a scraped knee, a hurt feeling, or an inappropriate behavior, no adult is left trying to figure out how to handle a situation without "parental consent." I could very easily fall into the "what-if" game right now as my imagination skirts around all the possible scenarios Bo could find himself in at someone else's house, without me, with people who don't speak English. Will they do the right thing? Will he be monitored at all? If he needs reprimanding, will he even understand? What if he needs something? I know people keep referring to us as a "brave and courageous family" but I'm beginning to wonder if "senseless" might be a better label? What parent throws their kid into a cavernous unknown zone like that?

I guess we do.

In reality, Bo seemed completely fine with the idea. Excited to the point of being willing to completely overlook a coughing cold that had him up during the night, he left smiling with an "I know, Mom" retort to my reminder of "no electronic games." It should be no surprise to me to see once again that I am the neurotic one.

And Vivi and Lucie are playing, albeit ridiculously quietly for two 6 year old girls, upstairs in Vivi's room bedecked with Polly Pockets and Barbies. Somethings just transcend the language barriers. I need to work on discovering the adult equivalents so I can have a "play date" of my own someday soon. My best guess is "cafe," so I'm taking it upon myself to learn to like it, anyway it gets served, so I can make my own friends, too.

But maybe I'll stick a couple of Vivi's Polly Pockets in my purse, just in case.

4 comments:

  1. Aw, I wish I was there to have a play-date with you! (I love Polly-Pockets.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand this! It's funny, you are so right, RARELY do my girls have said "date" without me in tow. I do sometimes offer to take another child to help a mom have a break, or if I need a moment to get some project accomplished and the girls could benefit by the distraction for a visiting friend... but this is more rare. I love dates where I too get to visit! And yes, I think it has formed some amazing friendships as a result. Frankly, I think only the friends with whom I have these intimate friendships are the ones I entrust my kids with, and vice versa. I pray that you develop these kinds of friends in France! (though I KNOW that none will compare with the depth of those here in the US... lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe homeschooling encourages moms to tag along and it is different for families whose children go to school? I don't know. But I do know I really prefer being included!

    It will be quite the challenge to develop any meaningful, lasting friendships while I'm here - not only because of the language challenges, but also most moms work, so there really isn't time to hang out with other women, unless I sacrifice family time to do so. And I'm already sacrificing enough of that by sending the kids to school!

    No need to fear, all my US Sisters - I can't wait to come home to you all! I'll even play Polly Pockets with you, if you really want to (Michelle).
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God for the internet!
    I remember as a kid when we wanted to talk with our family we had to send a letter or mail a cassette tape back to the US.
    Then when we lived in Austria, email was a new thing and we could call home. (even if the price was outrageous, it was worth it!!)
    NOw you can blog and there are cell phones.
    It is amazing.
    You can keep in touch with your US friends and make new ones.
    But we always miss our face to face interactions...oh wait, now there is Skype...so I guess we miss the personal hugs and touches.
    Sending you hugs...virtual though they are,
    katie

    ReplyDelete