Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Spelling in French

As soon as I start to think I'm totally getting this French thing down, the phone rings. For anyone who doesn't believe that 80% of communication is non-verbal, try talking on the phone in a language you apparently barely know.

The most hilarious part is when someone asks me for my email address. I've had the same email address now since Bo was born (over 8 years) and I've always had trouble spelling it for people because to anyone else it doesn't make sense and therefore is difficult to comprehend. It is "rinboduffy" (the nicknames of me, my son, and my husband). But now I may finally be convinced to change it soon so as to make this year a whole lot easier.

Imagine you're me:

Person on Phone: "Avez-vous un mel?" Do you have email?

Me: "Ehhhh.... oui." Ummm....yes. (Oh great, here it comes.)

Person on Phone: "Votre address?" Your address?

Me: "Ehhhh...oh la la.... Airgrgrgh.... ehhhh.... Eeeee...Ehnnn, comme N-n-n Non... Bay, comme B-b-b Baguette...Oohh...Day, comme D-d-d-d-d (derierre? no. I can't say that!) comme D-d-d Deja vu... Eeewww... Ehhfff, Ehhfff comme...ehhh... comme.... egh, je ne sais pas."

Ummm...oh boy...R....ummmm....I....N, as in No...B, as in B-b-b Bread...O...D, as in D-d-d-d (butt? no I can't say that!) as in Deja vu...U... F-F, as in...ummm... as in.... ugh, I don't know."

And there you have it. I can't spell in French. My brain gets all worked up trying to come up with the "as in" examples that I get all flustered and start stuttering like machine gun. And sadly, the only thing I can think of when I get to the "F-F" part of my address is "French Fry." And I just don't think anyone in France will find the humor in that.

3 comments:

  1. LOL Thanks for the laugh today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying your blog. It is a great thing tha you are able to do. It is very fascinating. You are also a great writer. I'm sure you've been told that this will make a good book when your done. Keep up the good work. I'll add you to my skype account.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww Thanks Jody! I guess we'll see. Maybe I will get enough of a life here that I won't have time for all this blogging! lol

    ReplyDelete