Chronicling the experience of a New England Family spending a year living in the Loire Valley of France.

Monday, August 15, 2011

A Whole Lotta Nothin

The past few days have been very unexciting I'm afraid. Sunday was a rainy day, but that didn't matter because we went to church, which is held inside obviously. There were very few people in attendance and we were told this is because all of France goes on holiday for the month of August. For us, this was perfect, as we were able to ease our way into introductions and immersion into Christian French vocab. (sadly something never covered in any of my forays into language acquisition).

One of the couples there is from England, and they invited us over for lunch afterwards. It was so lovely to spend the afternoon without having to speak slowly or search for translations in my head! The children spent time reading children's books in English, relishing in their comprehension. I have no doubt their home will become a welcome Christian English refuge for us this year!

Monday was laundry and cleaning day. Which, given I don't know where anything is stored and once I find something I can't be sure if it is floor cleaner or dish soap, took the better part of the day. But in the end I found everything I needed, minus a mop, and the rooms are now ready to receive guests - one Italian couple and I think either a French or Canadian couple. This morning we will go Leclerc to get supplies for their breakfasts (and perhaps a mop). Apparently, friends of mine want pictures of Leclerc, so any chances of blending in will be destroyed should I acquiesce. I suspect they requested them explicitly for the joy of the mental picture of me wandering around a store like Wal-mart snapping photos like a badly misplaced Japanese tourist. (I mean no disrespect to Japanese tourists, here.) Maybe I'll make David wear black socks with his sandals and a plaid shirt and I'll wear a moo-moo and we can tell everyone we think we're in Florida. There is a Disney here after all (but it's near Paris).

Well, now that I've more than likely offended a few people I'm going to go have breakfast. Nothing like starting your day off right!


2 comments:

  1. There is nothing more important than blending in! I was only half-joking about Leclerc and definitely fully joking about food pictures. However, if you see any Japanese tourists IN Leclerc, I will definitely need a picture of that. -jason

    PS. When you are brave enough to try ordering breakfast meat from the deli, 10 deca is about half a pound....if I remember my conversions correctly. We considered it a huge "victory" the first time we did it correctly in German. -katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what kinds of food will you be serving your guests? French or American? We still need pictures of the house you are staying in!

    ReplyDelete